View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pat Metheny on Kenny G and other Jazz greats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Its all about the music and the musicians who have made serious contributions for some of us folks on the subject of jazz. You can be both liberal, open minded but still have the edit/filter button in place to seperate the truly bad from the truly good in life without being a complete wallflower instead having a firm opinion as far as i'm concerned on the subject at hand. If its crap its crap and has no content that follows a jazz path or conceptual jazz framework/concept laid out in front of it or being based on sorry its not the real "deal". No amount of debate will make it right in my books. KG is just average commercial pop music sax player with a much better slick marketing team and record label behind him...honest truth
Okay, so it's not right in your books. Who ever said that Kenny G is the "real deal" where jazz is concerned? Of course Kenny G's music doesn't "follow a jazz path." That's because the guy doesn't play jazz, for crying out loud. I very much doubt that he's ever claimed to play jazz. He's a bloody pop star. So what? What does it matter to you, this is what I don't understand.

I very much doubt that Kenny G will ever be booked at the Village Vanguard, and I see no way that his music could ever eclipse that of Charles Mingus. Come on, Stan. He's in a whole other universe, so what do you care?