View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pat Metheny on Kenny G and other Jazz greats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
Jazz afficiandos can be the toughest of critics upon each other that ever walked the earth. I read Metheny's roasting of KG, and while I agree with it in principle, the strict standards (pentatonic vs blues scale, etc) seem a bit overfetched. I think most of the New orleans jazz founders probably would be confused and perplexed at what he was saying. I think alot of those guys wandered back and forth including Louis. I think jazz purists often bind themselves up in their own chains.
Its all about the music and the musicians who have made serious contributions for some of us folks on the subject of jazz. You can be both liberal, open minded but still have the edit/filter button in place to seperate the truly bad from the truly good in life without being a complete wallflower instead having a firm opinion as far as i'm concerned on the subject at hand. If its crap its crap and has no content that follows a jazz path or conceptual jazz framework/concept laid out in front of it or being based on sorry its not the real "deal". No amount of debate will make it right in my books. KG is just average commercial pop music sax player with a much better slick marketing team and record label behind him...honest truth

Pretty logical, simple and not complicated at all for this jazz musician to follow and understand.

When you want to blur the {musical} waters to accept everything "as is" and on equal ground without question you run into problems having no clue what is going on musically speaking period at the end of the day life has taught me.

You have to have conviction and a true understanding of what your opinions are on what you're standing for both as a listener and player equally alike for success either in the debating arena or on the bandstand or the end product lacks having a real firm backbone {substance} as a result from where I stand.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan