View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pat Metheny on Kenny G and other Jazz greats

I often listen to smooth jazz when Im at work. Its background music that doesn't distract me. It simply sets a mood that allows me to think about what I am doing and not the music.
It has simple flowing melodies and back beats. There is a moderate amount of syncopation. There are seldom lyrics to mess up the mood.

It flows along like a river in its own way. It blocks out the noise of the shop and the stupid distractions like the PA system and conversations that I don't want to hear.

Smooth Jazz is like driving an MGB. It has No power, No great performance, Not much handling and Braking, It's a forgiving sports car that I can drive slowly with the top down while I smoke my pipe and relax.

Real jazz is like driving a Porsche. You have to power it into the turns as if you were Storming Poland during a Blitzkrieg! You cant wait to depress the accelerator and let the turbo spool up while you power shift into second gear.
You know that if you make one mistake you will wind up spinning around and hitting a guard rail! On the edge at all times!

Last edited by bobdadruma; 03-25-2010 at 02:05 AM.