View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 08:11 PM

Default Re: New 2010 Gretsch Catalina Birch Review

Hey I just joined this forum because somebody on the Pearl Forums mentioned you bought this kit and I am very interested in buying one in the same color myself. My concern is, based on your photos, that the fade looks kind of washed-out in the middle portion. Additionally, I'm wondering how obvious the fade is without being under bright lights (or your camera's flash).

Is there any way you could post some photos of that kit, or at least one drum, in natural daylight without the flash?

Congrats on those drums though! I owned a set of first-generation Catalina Birch drums from a few years back. Mine was Caribbean Blue with clear Gretsch heads on the toms, and from my research had 6-ply shells with the 45 degree edges. One of my biggest regrets was taking them back to Guitar Center because, at the time, I was still trying to pay off a custom DW I had ordered the previous year.

Those Catalinas remain as the best sounding kit I've ever owned. I would buy that kit back in a heartbeat. I'm hoping these new Catalinas sound as good, hopefully better, than my first-gen kit.

Good luck and I hope to hear back from you soon.