View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pat Metheny on Kenny G and other Jazz greats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael McDanial View Post

A lot of people get turned off at the mention of jazz because they immediately think of that "boring Kenny G crap", as someone put it to me not too long ago when I mentioned I played jazz. They don't know who Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, Lester Young, or Charles Mingus are. I think that's where the conflict comes in. If his music was never categorized as jazz then there wouldn't be this conflict. Jazz is such a wide spectrum .
All true. But such limitations are not limited to jazz.

Look how many posts blow off metal as nothing but "Loud guitars with some guy screaming "hail satan"" without realizing there are 101 variations of metal, some of which have the complexity and sensitivity of other forms of music.

Or how many people blow off all country as the bland twangy pop music on the radio, without looking at someone like Johnny Cash is also considered country.

Most of my generation was brought up that classical is boring back ground music to put on at nap time when in pre-school, yet the 1812 Overture would never qualify as nap time music.

Or the kids who think The Who are just that band that does the CSI theme songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Thing is, Pat M has also played smooth jazz. Average listeners would consider them to be in roughly the same genre.
This is also true. No matter how cutting edge, no matter how many legit traditional artists he may have played with, Metheny has his share of songs that could be considered "smooth jazz" as well. Maybe the fans can tell the difference, but the average non-musician isn't going to hear it as different as apples and oranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post

As far as comparisons between the two go, a quick glimpse at their creds are quite revealing;

Metheny - Has won 17 grammys.

Kenny G- Has won 1 grammy. ..
Comparing Grammy's tends to weaken the argument. Year after year the Grammy's tend to go to sugary pop hits of top 40 radio over better artists, at least in most other catagories. They occasionally get it right, but not often.

Miles Davis only has two Grammy's from his pre 1980 material.

And yet people who don't even write their own music, or one case, didn't even perform on their own albums, get Grammy's on a regular basis.