Thread: Meg White
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Jack White Defends Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I can hardly make out anything that the growlers are saying and when I do it's normally just young men's angst. Wowie zowie. The weird thing is that every metalhead I meet is a fair dinkum lovely guy. I can't put the two together - these fun, intelligent, easygoing guys and this maniacally angry music. I can only guess that they're getting it out of their systems. There might be some value to musical Gestalt therapy that acts as a safety valve, but I's rather not hear it. There ya go. Some of you think WS are primitive and I think modern metal is ugly. No accounting for taste, eh?
You know Polly, I hate to sound like a broken record but it's all matter of exposure. I remember when I was young I used to bash people for listening to "that growly stuff, I can't even hear what they are saying". But then all my friends listened to that sort of stuff so eventually I got used to it. That's why I hate top40 lists on radio and TV because they are self-fulfilling prophecies. Of course people buy them because they are all they know and are used to listen to. But it doesn't mean in the slightest that they are actually better than anything else. And I'm quite sure those lists have nothing to do with actual bought records, more like how much the music stores think they will need them in relation how big of a marketting plan the band has. =P It's all really complicated and besides the point of music imo.