Thread: Meg White
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Jack White Defends Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
A limited player is a great choice to play minimalism because they won't get bored :)

JP, you could start up an art franchise with your custom stick figures! However, if you are struggling to pay the rent because they are less well-received by the public than the WS, then you might have to think about why ...

Look, I get it. I really do. I still remember playing the traps and the bitter feeling of seeing bands who were far more limited and less skilled than my groups going somewhere fast. And we were going nowhere.

Why? Because they struck a chord in audiences - often through being connected with a scene - and we failed to make those connections. We just played what we thought was pretty good music. Not enough. If you don't make those emotional connections then you'd better be very, very, very good.

I'm not bitter any more. I'm getting old and now and only playing for fun, so I don't think it terms of hierarchies. If a track appeals to me, fine. If not, that's fine too. I just find something very pleasing about WS music - it's sassy, melodic, fun and the overall band sound is great.
Yeah, as I said I don't really want to get into this debate again. I just reiterated the point I have been making all along. I completely get the other side's point too. It's great we have more simple music too so that young kids can get in to music more and feel satisfaction when they can play the tunes they love with ease. But what gets under my skin are the arguments like "She can do what those with 'technical prowess' can't. She inspires people to bash on pots and pans. For that, they repay her with gossip and judgement." Technical (or feel-) gods inspire people too. And they _could_ play the same things Meg is playing and actually most of them _have to_ most of the time because they are called out to do those types of studio sessions.

As I said before, if you like the music it's ok (I don't particularly enjoy it, have tried to like it though). If she inspires, especially young girls to pick up drums it's definitely great. I just wouldn't start yet another simplicity-cult around her, there's just too many of those already, I think. I would start it around someone who has a bit more life behind him/her & has something more feelwise going than a great songwriter to back her up. =)