View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pat Metheny on Kenny G and other Jazz greats

I think what got Pat's goat was the fact that Kenny could 'imitate' ( read fake ) the art form of jazz, and put it out there for the millions who, like Polly says, would'nt know any better, and have it pass off as jazz. And this too off the shoulders of jazz icon and to rub salt on the wound, be commercially successful doing that.

As far as comparisons between the two go, a quick glimpse at their creds are quite revealing;

Metheny - Has won 17 grammys. Taught Berklee at the age of 20. Has recorded with Jim Hall, Dave Holland, Roy Haynes, Toninho Horta, Gary Burton, Chick Corea, Jaco Pastorius, Charlie Haden, John Scofield, Jack DeJohnette, Herbie Hancock, Bill Stewart, Ornette Coleman, Brad Mehldau, Joni Mitchell.

Kenny G- Has won 1 grammy. Recorded with Andrea Bocelli, Whitney Houston, Peabo Bryson, Toni Braxton, DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, Steve Miller (which marked the only time he appeared on a rock and roll album), Dudley Moore, Michael Bolton, and Celine Dion.

Here's the Wiki on the crux of the issue:-

Kenny G's 1999 single, "What A Wonderful World" was criticized by the jazz community regarding the overdubbing of Louis Armstrong's classic recording. A common criticism was that a revered recording by an artist such as Armstrong known especially for improvisation should not be altered and especially not by a musician such as Kenny G whose contributions to jazz were already in question. Jazz guitarist Pat Metheny responded to this recording by saying, "With this single move, Kenny G became one of the few people on earth I can say that I really can't use at all — as a man, for his incredible arrogance to even consider such a thing, and as a musician, for presuming to share the stage with the single most important figure in our music.

Last edited by aydee; 03-24-2010 at 10:02 AM.