View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 05:47 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Metheny, Kenny G, and other Jazz greats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Thing is, Pat M has also played smooth jazz. Average listeners would consider them to be in roughly the same genre. Take away the background and listen - the music has a jazzy timbre, jazzy chords, it's smooth and it's easy to listen to. Think of all the music in all the different genres - from death metal to electropop to prog to blues etc and it's clear that the music of Kenny and Pat has many more similarities than differences. The closest neighbours often have the most bitter disputes.

I never heard his Satchmo overdub but that simply sounds like fun to me. I don't think a lack of reverence for an artist necessarily implies disrespect, just as imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. No doubt KG was aware of its commercial value, but a cut of royalties go to Stachmo's estate (or has copyright run out?) so who loses? I imagine it would spark curiosity about the original version in a new generation of listeners.

I don't own any Kenny G music but I really have no issue with him; I prefer his work to lots of other music. I really don't understand all the degree of animosity. Sure, the music is daggy but he ain't the first, won't be the last and definitely not the worst :)
Watered down meandering commercial pop in content musically speaking {content} sax noodling over a historic great track in jazz history DOESN'T make it right in my books ... Metheny nailed it from the get go in my books......

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan