View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 03:38 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Metheny, Kenny G, and other Jazz greats

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I listen to a lot of Kenny G. , Mindi Abair, Pat Metheny et.al. In my opinion they are n't Jazz greats but very popular and good Smooth Jazz Artists. I am not big on Jazz but have my few favorites, and Smooth Jazz is a different ball game. To me it is a popular style of music played with instruments associated with jazz. I will be seeing Mindi on April 10th with possibly a meet and greet. If I get the chance I will ask her her opinion of the question.
There's no way I'd ever put Kenny G and Metheny in the same category. Metheny has been on the leading edge of Jazz for 30 years, he's defined a sound and is definitely a legend of the jazz scene. Seriously, he's played with Ornette Coleman, Scofield, Joni Mitchell, Wayne Shorter, Herbie, Charlie Haden, Jim Hall, Roy Haynes, Dave Holland, the list goes on and on and on and on and on.

He's all over it.

I love the start of this interview: http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm

He critiques Kenny G on a technical level, then goes on to talk about the afore-mentioned youtube clip. His biggest issue with Kenny is his overdubbing of Louis Armstrong's tune.

Polly, sure there's worse music out there, but there's certain lines you shouldn't cross to make a buck (and I'm sure you'll agree there was nothing 'artistic' behind Kenny G's Wonderful World, it was purely financially motivated).