Thread: John Bonham
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 03:54 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyg@@ View Post
Ok, i'm about to put my neck on the line. I'd like to know if there is anyone who thinks John Bonham is over rated. What do you really think? Is he only a drum god because he is dead?
Would he be as much of a drumming legend if he was still around? If you're a Bonham fan, please don't attack me for this, I love his playing, but when I see other drummers of his era and the amazing drummers around today, it makes me think, was he really that much better than anyone else? Of course everyone has there own style and feel, but overall as a player what do you think?
Hmmm. Well, first off, I think most drummers from legendary rock groups are overrated and get more attention than they deserve because of WHO they play for rather than how talented they really are. That said, I think he was way above and beyond the "in the pocket drummers" - guys like like Watts and Rudd. You have to really listen to the subtleties of his style to appreciate how talented he was. Just try to play along to Good Times, Bad Times, or play that shuffle beat he does to Fool in the Rain before labeling him just an average Joe. Those sixteenth note triplets he could dribble off on the bass drum were also truly unique to him.