View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: So, what is it with Steve Gadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post

Mr Chattr, with all due respect, I'm with Matthias in that I could practice 24 hours a day for another 30 years and not be able to play what Dave and Vinnie did in the drum duel clip. Those guys are freaks IMO. And so is Steve, but in a different way, although as has been said he has major chops.
Here's the thing though: you actually could. You are right that it MIGHT take that long, and both of you are right to say that coming up with parts like that, and doing so on the spot, takes more than just technical talent. But you would be amazed at how far you can come even just sitting practicing for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for a few years. You could get a transcription of what they played and nail it over time, with a huge amount of work. That's kind of the definition of technique. Natural talent helps with it all, of course, but any technique can be taught and learned. Feel can't really be learned, although it can be developed. And that's why I think the whole "feel/technique" battle is so silly. They are two totally different things.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums