View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Which city should a chose for musicians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Hang about........there's such a thing as Christian 'Death' Metal???? Has no-one put any thought into the irony of this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
We're not allowed to discus it, and that suits me fine....but do have a think about that statement as it makes no sense at all in the greater scope of your philosophies.

Feel free to PM me though if I've caused offense. It's certainly not my intention.

Cheers.
May not make much sense to you or me, but apparently it's been around since the late 1980's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_metal

Quote:
In 1990, the Australian group Mortification became the first widely recognized Christian death metal band. Their 1992 album Scrolls of the Megilloth was almost as ground breaking as Stryper's To Hell With the Devil, according to Jonsson.[2] They are one of the the most successful Christian extreme metal groups.[76]

Prior to Mortification the Brazilian band Incubus (later known as Opprobrium) already combined Christian lyrics to death metal on their albums Serpent Temptation (1988) and Beyond the Unknown (1990).[78] At roughly the same time the band Living Sacrifice was creating thrash and death metal. Their albums Nonexistent (1992) and Inhabit (1994) presented deathgrind style. Later they "evolved from their early death metal-inspired rumblings into a crushing, staccato-driven, heavily percussive metallic behemoth that pummels listeners with intense riffage and a decidedly personal, though nevertheless, often evangelical lyrical viewpoint."[79] The Minneapolis based Crimson Thorn released albums such as 1995's Unearthed, 1999's Dissection, and 2002's Purification. Allmusic describes them as "one of the world's most extreme-sounding Christian metal bands."[80] Other notable American death metal bands include Disencumbrance, Impending Doom and Embodyment.[81]
And let's not forget rock and jazz both have roots in the mixing of styles that were considered taboo to mix at the time.