Thread: CD Sales
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Gold Member

Default CD Sales

A question here that I've had for a while that is sort of bugging me. Allow me to show my ignorance in the matter.

I've noticed several big name acts state publically that they don't make any money off of CD sales, or make very little, if any. Neal Peart of Rush stated something like that recently in the latest Guitar Center flyer. A few other big acts have said that lately, although I can't seem to remember which ones.

Is it because of the Internet and iTunes, Rhapsody, CD Baby, and the like, or is it something else? I'm aware the record companies and everyone else involved in the production and distribution get their cut, but is it really that bad that a world-wide act like Rush doesn't see a dime, or very little? Or am I completely off the mark here?

And now it seems these big bands make their money touring. Back when I was growing up in the 70's and early 80's, bands made their money on record and CD sales and toured to promote the album; the tours not making much revenue by themselves.

Thanks!