View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why I love the blues, great SRV video

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
You were doing so well for a minute there Larry, And then you came to the part about the sound of Chris's kit!
Larry, Larry, What are we going to do with you?
Chris is remarkable. Chris is fabulous. I want to have his babies (and have someone else look after them). His kit sounds sooo good! It's important for our fellow DW members to be happy :)

No doubt he's a rock solid pro blues drummer but I'm with Dairyman when it comes to his ride sound in the vid. It sounds a bit dead to my ear.

Larry, I'm sure Chris's restraint is what SRV wanted - unlike Jimi - for the drums to stay at home while he pours his heart into the solo, but I always find it a bit strange when a soloist is pouring it out like that and the band just chugs along with it.

It's as though you have three people in conversation at a table ... one of them is shouting passionately "I GOT THE BLUES! MY WOMAN'S DONE ME WRONG AND IT'S DRIVING ME MAD!!" while the other two are just sagely nodding their heads, sipping their drinks, and quietly saying "Yep Stevie ... sure, it's a bummer".

I keep wishing one of them would stand up and say "YEAH STEVIE! I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANY MORE!!" :)