View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why I love the blues, great SRV video

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
You kind of have to play "sedately" to blues for it to work right. Otherwise, you'd be stepping on a great performance. When Stevie is "talking" (or any soloist) I don't like to "interrupt". Support for sure, but don't steal the spotlight at all. It's just common courtesy. Blues is not a drummers showcase, not at all, it about how good you can do a thankless job.
Kinda like Ringo. When he plays, it's easy to say, Oh man if I was playing that, I would have played "this" instead. The thing is, when you go ahead and try to play "this" you realize that Ringo knew what "NOT" to play.
Not a big Mitch Mitchell fan, Larry? He played a lot but not all the time; in Red House he laid right back. On the other hand he carried on, including solo, in another of Jimi's blues like Catfish Blues. As a keen Ringo-ologist, when I listen to Ringo's tracks I'm not thinking of what I could play instead so much as "How did he think of that?"

I agree that for a drummer of my standard playing in a five-piece group as I am, laying back in blues will work best. However, if a drummer has as much mojo as Mitch is playing in a 3-piece outfit then, depending on the song, some extra carry-on while the bassist stays home can add a lot to the experience ... that wasn't "interrupting" or playing alone - it was a conversation.

Not knocking Chris, just agreeing with you that while he's a fine drummer he's not amongst my faves. Bob, I agree with you that Cold Shot's a great song and Chris's groove in it is spot on. The only formula is there is no catch-all formula IMO