View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Springsteen sues local bar owner for copyright infringement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Hey mate........is this a relatively new thing in Oz? I played in various cover bands up until several years ago and never once submitted a set list to either APRA or the venue for this purpose. Never gave it a seconds thought to be honest. Was it always in place but has been largely ignored, or has it come about in the time that I've not been playing live?
Heya Pocket,

APRA was established in 1926. I'm the QLD Representative for the Songwriters, but if you'd like to discuss it further, I suggest you speak to Con or Sibylla in the Victorian office (the office is in Richmond). If you're an original writer, and you have your work Performed Live or Broadcast on TV/Internet/Radio then you are eligible for membership (which is free and available online).

Here in Australia, any Venue/Business that uses music that is audible to the public are required to pay an annual licence to APRA, APRA then distributes the money (royalty) back to the Songwriters. Major Radio and TV are to submit a full log of every work (song) that they broadcast, to allow the royalty to be paid back to the writer. Also, as mentioned, the songwriters submit a Live Performance Return each year to tell APRA 1) What venues they performed at over the Financial year 2) What songs they performed and 3) How many times each song was performed.

APRA has reciprocal agreements with collection societies around the world, so if you receive airplay in the states (for example) then BMI or ASCAP will pay APRA then APRA will pay you. Alternatively, if an American artist receives airplay in Australia, APRA will bay ASCAP or BMI and then they will pay the writer.

Ok, i'm done!

Cheers