View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Is it fair to play live with a metronome?

[quote=Pollyanna;657016]
Stasz, glad you jumped in. Great post.
QUOTE]

Thanks, I can't seem to find my post? i forgot that it existed and i was really confused, as of now your response is the only proof that it ever existed.

Anyway, I really think there are some great things being said about this subject, and especially how the idea of "cheating" is just bogus. And pollyanna hit the nail on the head with the milli vanilli example, that of course there's a question of ethics when you take it that far, seeing as they weren't even performing the music, even if it still sounded good to the audience. however I still think we should wholeheartedly embrace new technology that allows us to take recorded & live music to a place where it's never been before. Take this youtube video of joe tomino with the dub trio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9iRwW9GIdA

After the double bass assault in the beginning, listen to tomino's use of electronic delay on his backbeat to create the dub sound. Not only is this use of technology new and creative, it's not easy. He's juggling keeping a steady groove AND working the electronic pedals......so technology is not always just to make things as easy as possible