View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Is it fair to play live with a metronome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Sort of ironic Keith Moon of all drummers was one of the 1st major drummers to use a click on stage so he could follow the sequencers on "Baba O Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again."
Interesting DED. Didn't know that and wouldn't have imagined it, but it makes sense now that you mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
If you put a lot of those "good time" drum tracks up on a computer grid, they wouldn't line up perfectly. But back then, no one cared as long as it feels good.

Machine oriented music is so pervasive in our modern society, that people just expect a level of unhuman perfection that wasn't expected in years past.
I remember having this feeling in the 80s, although my biggest issue was sound. Nearly all the popular songs had a massive snare sound - Simmons or compressed and cranked up. It was the more-is-always-better mentality of "Gee, drummers like Bonzo with the big snare thwack sound great so if we make our snare sound HUGE then it will be better still!".

But I was a child of the 70s and thought Bonzo and the other hard rock guys got the big snare sound about right - plus it had this rich organic sound. I didn't need backbeats to be bigger, and certainly not with the tradeoff of richness and flexibility.

So when playing acoustic drums in 80s rock I had to play super clean (no grace notes or ruffs) and hit super hard to sound contemporary. The BIG sound - easy on an e-drum or heavily mic'd but I found it hard work on my a-kit.

The need for big sounds and the increased expectations of tightness meant that I'd lost a lot of my favourite musical toys - improv and dynamics. That was one of the reasons why I quit drumming in 1987/8. The enjoyment no longer outweighed the hassles of setup, lugging, soreness and blisters.

If I remember rightly TR707s were coming in big-time in disco music (discounting Kraftwerk etc). Drum machines have continued to evolve to the point where you can have super-impressive programmable e-drums on a PC - very powerful, accessible and cheap. This has given drummers another tough benchmark to live up to as people's ears are conditioned more to machine-like consistency.

I like lots of music with electronic drums and sequencers but my favourite songs are still human and organic. But then again, I'm apparently a baby boomer so I would say that :)

Sorry, long post. Just another senile old cow staggering aimlessly down memory lane :)