View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 03:32 AM

Default Re: What do you make of this quote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
And you think very clearly IMO

Here is another quote I find provokative:
Consumers have musical choice? What musical choice? In or society we choose only from what we are given to choose from, and that choice is determined by 5 major media corporations who control the exposure outlets that consumers depend on for their entertainment.
Christopher Knab, FourFront Media and Music
I guess Knab has never heard of independent labels? If you look hard enough, you will find something good. The "interweb" is flooded with all sorts of information, good and bad. DIY has always been popular prior to the internet and has exploded as technology has made making music cheaper and more accessible. Yes, there is loads of crap out there, but there are also loads of gems waiting to be discovered.

Music is a universal human language. I doubt it is every going to go away. And if people don't like the choices they are given, they will do something about it. As the old saying goes, if you want something done, do it yourself! Or something like that!

I think my prejudice of 21st century music may be based on my age. However, I still purchase loads music, mainly in vinyl format and sometimes CDs. I do not subscribe to the notion that music should be free for everyone to download. I have had arguments with a couple of friends who think all music should be free. That being said, I do frequent blogs to download stuff that is out of print or impossible to find. Plus, nothing beats the live experience. You can never download that.