View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 01:55 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Living the dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Thanks jer, interesting. A lot of organisation needed. Still don't know what kind of venues you're playing at, though :)

As you would have guessed, I took that pic at Milford Sound - such a spectacular place. I got up in the morning after three days at sea, walked out on to the deck and straight into a real life postcard. I ran back to the room and to see my (then) very cynical nephew, "Wake up! You have to see this!". He grumbled his way out of bed, walked onto the deck, then his jaw dropped and he said "[Fornicate] off!" in that way that young guys do when they are blown away :)

Dunedin on the other side of south island is nowhere near as pretty but I liked its rustic mood. It was like going back in time. Christchurch has a nice feel and Napier's great if you like art deco architecture (which I do).

Can't talk about all the practice paying off, though, because I've done diddly-squat. I'm just grateful I can play an instrument, really. People who can't play are often wish they could. From what I can tell you're enjoying the icing on the cake :)
Sorry Polly, bars and pubs for the most part, a few dedicated live music venues a couple restaurants and one outdoor band shell, (which was pretty amazing).

Really looking forward to Milford Sound, part of the deal we worked out is getting out on one of the tour boats, should prove to be as jaw dropping as I've seen in pics - but yeah, this place is all one big postcard, insane how much the landscape changes over such short distances. Lots of sheep. Dunedin was for sure a bit of a trip into the past, especially Port Chalmers, where we played. Currently in Queenstown, reminds me a lot of Whistler, there are obvious similarities in landscape, but the people remind me too, I've met more foreigners than locals so far... no one actually seems to be from here.