Thread: Mike Johnston
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Mike Johnston nomination

Besides being a fantastic player and teacher (a rare combination), he has also accomplished something pretty revolutionary in offering live video lessons which are streamed to hundreds (now, maybe thousands) of students around the world. To my knowledge, regular, live instructional video lessons are not offered by any other drummer, or any musician in any category for that matter. So, he truly is revolutionizing how music education can be offered.

With his YouTube presence and his growing student base around the world (both through YouTube and his live lessons), his influence is increasing by leaps and bounds. And if all that weren't enough, he's got a great personality. He's completely at ease in front of the camera, friendly, lively, energetic, enthusiastic and has a great sense of humor. Best of all, he genuinely cares about his students. I know it's only a matter of time before his face is on the cover of Modern Drummer. In the meantime, I think he is definitely worthy of being on the Watchlist page at least.

(I'm not only one of his live lesson students, but I'm a big fan of his, if you couldn't tell. :)