View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 01:49 AM
Stu_Strib

Default Re: The legendary Steve Gadd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble

Interesting how you say 50 Ways revolves around the drum part, but that the drum part is in turn the perfect part for the song. It makes me wonder which came first, the chicken or the egg? Seriously, does anyone know how that part came into existence? My gut feeling, and hence why I may be disparaging about the part, is that it was a groove Gadd had come up with in his own time and wanted to play in a song, and found one he could fit it into to.
According to Paul Simon, the song was done, and Gadd made it up during the session. It blew everyone away, and then the song was retweaked to fit the pattern even better. So finally, a drummer other than Neil Peart, having a profound effect on song writing!

DogBreath stated it much better than I, as he probably didn't drink a bottle of wine while on night time cold medicine, like myself, ;-)

Edit: I found more:

According to Simon -
Quote:
The big discovery on this song was Steve Gadd's drum part. It's probably what made it a hit. When Steve used to be in the studio, he used to practice these little marching-band patterns. It was like a little exercise for him. So I guess that's what it was. It's tricky; I've watched a lot of drummers try to play that. They never quite get it. It's very tricky. The song has a real casualness to the verses and a sense of humor to it, and the choruses are funny and catchy. And everybody seemed to like that one, young people and old people. The choruses were from a rhyming game I used to play with my son Harper when he was about four. I think it came off unusually well as a record. I like the chords.
AND according to GADD --
Quote:
Interviewer : Can you explain, did the song come first or did the groove come first, did he ( Paul Simon ) write the song around the groove or vice-versa ?

Steve Gadd : the song came first and we tried a few different ways and ended up with that feel.
I would just sit at the drums sometimes and instead of playing the hi-hat with my right hand, I would play with my left hand, and from playing be-bop, the hi-hat here is like if you play in 4 or you would play at different places. I was more free than just 2 and 4, so Fifty Ways is the result of using the hi-hat at different places : using the left hand and the hi-hat.

AND....

from anonymous post on the internet:
Quote:
It occurs to me Gadd's beat in (50 ways) is perhaps metaphorical but resonant with even a naive listener; that is, it's glib but very slightly drags—the glibness expressing the songs lyrics, but the slight drag expressing the hidden reluctance (or fear) to leave.
So this guy gets away with "naive" instead of "ignorant". So I change my post. You are all naive, hehe.

Last edited by Stu_Strib; 01-16-2006 at 02:22 AM.