View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 02:53 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Drum Machines replacing you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassDriver View Post
Yeah, the musical equivalent of cheating...and you thought you couldn't cheat with music, the real test comes when a bvand that uses quantisizing performs live.

Playing along to a metronome makes your timing a bit better but there are still always human nuances, so the performance will still be human.

It's good because it is really hard to count "1e&a2e&a" and when you get to about 120 bpm or "1 & 2 &" at 240 bpm.

Performing live along to a metronome keeps things precise and human but not sloppy.

Drum machines won't be replacing Jazz drummers in the near future because of the dynamic nature of Jazz just can't be programmed ("It don't mean thing if it ain't got that swing") ...and there are several ways to swing music ayway.
Did I ever say quantising was cheating?

I'm not saying that I like over-quantising. In fact, quite the opposite is true. Just like I generally dislike auto tune when it is used as a corrective tool. Simply put, however, these are tools that could very well be used for genuinely creative uses and just aren't. It's a shame that they get backhandedly criticised when there is a lot of potential for some really amazing work to be done with these tools.

It's not the tools that are the problem.