Thread: Ringo Starr
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Ringo Starr

Hi Guys,
I'm late to the party but,....thought I'd chime in from a totally different perspective.

I've been a gtr player for over 30 years and made a living as a musician. Of course I always thought Lennon & Macca were genius' and truthfully as a gtr plyr never gave much thought to Ringo.
I recently started playing drums and have discovered how great he really is. As with any instrument,..most often, it's what you DON'T play that counts.

So,...This is where I voice an opinion and go down in flames......lol.... Through years of gigging with drummers,..... IMO,...there is nothing more aggravating than a drummer with chops!....I realize context is everything, so don't take that super literal, but.
Why any drummer would think that fills every 4 or 8, turning the beat around,..fancy hihat shit,...is cool in pop/rock stuff..is,..beyond me....
But you do,...I know you're out there guys,...LOL!!

There is nothing more annoying than trying to solo or sing with that shit in the way.
Trust me,..your band feels this way,..they just won't tell you because drummers are rarer than you think.
You always know when a drummer has chops,...they can't help it....lol

No coincidence,....Just about everytime I ask a drummer who his favorite player is.
It's always Vinnie and or Gadd,....they are wonderful players but for my taste,. I'd take Ringo over them anyday. IN A POP/ROCK CONTEXT....

Ringo NEVER overplayed and I think most drummers miss that concept. Was very creative as mentioned,...Get Back,..Come Together, Swinging his ass off on the ride in I Feel Fine. What?! do these tunes call for someone roaring around the kit with fills all over?
No!
As a writer,...I would never imagine those beats if I brought those songs into my band.
So,..I'll take a Ringo or Keltner on my tracks anyday. (I wish,..lol)
I also do progressive stuff,...and will go as far as Brectlein (spelling?),...I love him.
Play for the song, not for yourself

That's it cats!
Peace and Love