View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Do you mention being a drummer on a day job interview?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
And as we get older, the perceived stability of age works in our favor as well. An employer is more likely to believe that a 50-year-old candidate will focus on a position, more than a 25-year-old who's trying to pursue music but says he can be dedicated to the job.
Very true.

While honesty is the best policy as a rule, it isn't always. When there is a good chance that you'll encounter assumptions based on stereotypes which will result in discrimination, it's best to keep your cards close to your chest.

An example. A former partner who'd gone prematurely grey was always struggling to get jobs. I told him that if he dyed his hair and didn't disclose his age he'd do better but he refused, even though he looked youthful otherwise and could have passed for 10-15 years younger.

So the problem remained. Last time I saw him he was unemployed, broke and depressed. I'm sure he was suffering age-based discrimination and even though it's both illegal and unethical, it's also unproveable and, therefore, unenforceable.