View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Do you mention being a drummer on a day job interview?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
It's been a few years since I was on a job interview, but my drumming situation was made known at the time and it was never an issue, and I was able to leave and return several times for tours. A very fortunate situation perhaps, and I had no problem balancing both careers.

But recreational/part-time drumming wouldn't be a problem for an employer as long as you do the job in the prescribed manner and during the prescribed hours. There are undoubtedly hundreds of thousands musicians who have successful day jobs, and also play music during evenings and weekends when many other musicians with regular jobs also happen to be available.

I think an employer might be more concerned about a prospective employee who has no outside hobbies or distractions. Employers like dedication, but they don't always like workaholics who have no life outside the office.

Bermuda
I'd hope you would respond. :-)

I'm not sure how anyone finds a job that is willing to let them leave for tours, although obviously some people do. Although at this point, I'm not concerned with needing to leave, because I don't plan to.

Still, if you're looking at a job that is non-music related, do you put down "drummer for well known recording artist" (or something to that effect) on your resume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I may list it as a hobby if asked, and if you think it will be a problem down the line, like being late in the morning or hungover etc, be prepared for the consequences.
Ah, I thought I made it clear, but I guess I didn't.

I'm not concerned with being late or hungover, because I'm not actually in any active band. I was more concerned with the perception that it would be an issue.

If I show up tired at this point, it's going to because my kids didn't sleep (do they ever?) not from a late night gig.