View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 07:18 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: The Drummer's Gene

Quote:
Wild and craaazy here! Man, I got this souped up Corolla whatsisname that goes faster than any rickshaw in town. I'm built for speed, not comfort, baybee! That's why I'm hammerin' out them 120bpm paradiddles - read 'em and weep suckers!

And Extreme Sport is my middle name - Polly "Extreme Sport" Anna they call me. Tennis, cartooning, statistics, You name it, baby, if it's wild and fast and crazy you'll find me right there in that semi ergonomic chair pumpin' it out.

Umm ... I like thinking up new angles, though, Rogue.

Maybe there is a somewhat higher percentage of thrillseeking alpha male drummers than those playing violin or bass? A few drummers of a certain type have died in fast cars, haven't they? But I doubt the difference would be huge, though. How about a correlation between drummers with tatts and speed?
Wait a sec...thought you were still in your Phil Rudd-esque philosophy of pocket grooving.

I'm more of a laidback person, not really wild or anything.

...but I have met a drummer who is just off this planet, like with freaking ADHD or something...

he doesn't play solidly, is left-handed but prefers to play right-handed with a right-handed kit (shockingly, occasionally switching to open-handed when he gets tired quickly and blaming it all on his first drum teacher who didn't ask about his left-handedness), listens to Nirvana (obviously where he gets his 'raw' (ie. unsolid) drumming nature from), uses huge sweeping arm movements to strike drums really loudly, and uses the hi-hat only for mindless bashing which leaves the next drummer at the gig with a discombobulated hi-hat clutch (ie. someone like me).

...oh and he does that thing at the end of a song where he absolutely bangs every surface of the drum kit...

...and yeah, what do you call that thing, song ends, drummers rolls around on toms or washes cymbals thing that he does?