View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Pop Music in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaard View Post
You forgot the S-word: Soloing. He leaves his personality in the songs, and has that little latino flavor in it, so that many people can enjoy it. I was referring to those singer/songwriters who play the same damned chords each and every time.
So?

There are whole movements of Wagner operas that are just a single chord. There's one in particular (that I have forgetten the name of) that is literally just an E-Flat chord for the whole movement, harmonically speaking. There is a tendency in Western Classical Music to actually have fewer chord changes the more advanced the music becomes. In Baroque music, it is not unusual to have a chord change a bar and two when approaching a cadence. In Late Romantic Music, there are even fewer (Satie uses only a few chords in his most brilliant piano works, yet the tonal ambiguity is what sets the pieces apart). Schoenberg doesn't use any conventional chords in his early atonal works and Stravinsky uses little recognisable rhythm, at least in the traditional sense.

Trying to claim that music that sounds more 'complex' is better is just a slippery slope to nowhere. Music does not have to be 'complex' or involve 'solos' (which to me are basically cliche anyway and even more retro-active than anything else) to make a good song or piece. The complexity is utterly, utterly, utterly irrelevant. I couldn't give a flying baboon whether the piece is played fast, hard and uses a 3/4 polyrhythm - if it moves me, it moves me. And I don't think it gets any simpler than that.