Thread: Mike Portnoy
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Mike Portnoy

I have been a Dream Theater/Mike Portnoy fan for years...
For the music in Dream Theater, Mike is like a frount man... not to montion the drumming
wich i think SFAM (scenes from a memory) and SDoIT (Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance) was his best drumming in DT. I stress whan people say, "whoah, he has a waaaaayyy too big kit" because, if you look up on MP and his kits (monsters), it 2 kits made into one, its just a usual Metal kit, mixed in with a jazzy/proggy fusion kit...

I also love MPs LTE (liquid Tention Experimen with: MP, John Petrucci, Tony Levin and Jordan Rudess.) The size down totaly work for LTE and i love it, as many DT/MP fans may know MP loves his cymbals and are a great addion to MPs kits. IMO they bring wis kit alive, with a range of crashes and slashes the sounds he makes just fits everytime.

MP (IMO) is the best drummer since maybe john bonham or Keith Moon...
But, i know he cannot please everyone, thoughs who are not into the "prog" scene (witch is ALOT atm.) will not take note to him. but, i strongly suggest listening to a variaty of MP music (DT, LTE, OSI, Trans Atlantic etc.) Thats my take on MP :)

- JMX