Thread: Simon Phillips
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Can Simon play jazz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
You seem to miss the point as seems always the case in internet jazz discussions covering any jazz related topic. I offered the best I can do so take it or leave it with what is missing and could if covered make it even more "happening" in a traditional swing based jazz ensemble setting such as seen in the clip. There's always room for improvement covering any style of playing. If not where's the challenge to improve, grow and get even better at understanding and doing it in the first place?

To answer this same old tired {for me} argument I hear repeated {usually from non jazz players and listeners alike I might add in several cases} about being stuck in the box of the "authentic" traditions of jazz music and drumming with its so called "limitations" for not moving forward being "stuck in the past" my answer is have you ever heard of Erik Harland? He as just one example has futher brought to the table from being firmly rooted in the traditions of jazz music and jazz drumming a whole fresh but deep in {jazz} conception take on taking jazz drumming to the next evoling level and step for the music. Enough said............

Simon is most certainly on the right path but he not quite fully "there" yet.....

I think the problem I see here is exactly the opposite, Stan, and that is as you stated earlier, a lack of authenticity. He is playing this piece in a kind of post-fusion straight up manner. It's a nice groove and a nice feel, but he is missing the whole stylistic element, isn't he? I would ask if that is because he is trying to do something original ??? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This is a nice piece in a Coltrane quartet style. The keyboard is laying down these nice block chords. It is just calling for some syncopation. the drumming is very undergraduate in that sense, how a guy would play before he studied post-bop drumming.