View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: theatrical attire onstage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I dunno...I guess I'm indifferent to how the band *looks* and would rather hear a killer show. Sure it seems obvious but I do think it's the most important thing. I went to a Clutch show in town a couple of months ago and they were dressed like any average shmuck in the crowd...but they tore the freakin' roof off...and the energy in the room was palpable.
That's the point, Z. We already have a killer live show/ sound and we're at the point where we're asking ourselves "what can we do to stand out from the crowd?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Dressing like a schlub is fine for lots of bands. It depends on the audience's expectations. I like to dress well and I like playing with people who dress well. The audience usually wants to believe the performers are special people and dress adds to the experience.

Diosdude, if you are playing the kinds of venues where it would add to the audience's experience to dress in some unusual or stylish way, then do it. If you can't get your bandmates to go with the idea of stepping up the dress in some way, they're either lazy or self-conscious, which are not good qualities. So, how much do you enjoy playing with them? That's the bottom line.
We play the South Florida circuit for heavy metal, mainly. There's about 5-6 clubs/ venues that are on the "A" list of places to play and another 20 or so places that are on the "B" list/ typical metal bar. There is a sea of thrash bands, death-core bands, metal bands, Post hardcore power-pop bands and Screamo's, but if you put them all in a lineup, only 10-20% of the population actually stands out musically, 10% have really pro, polished stage acts, and only 1% stands out visually. I still have not seen the local band that does all three, My band is one of the few that is 2/3 of the way there. There are a few bands around that dress up but then they end up sucking on stage so it kind of hurts them that the audience is expecting them to be "special people" but then they end up being a garage band that likes to play dress up.

Again, this is not an attempt to substitute talent and stage presence with appearance, it's rather an attempt to enhance it.