View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Show Me Your "Monster" Kits! (let's say... 7 piece and up)

Here's pics of my mini-monster: Ddrum diatribe Dub birch kit in Cherry Satin:

2x 18x20 bass drums, 4x14 snare, 7x10, 7x12, 7x13, rack toms, 14x14, 14x16 floor toms and a refinished ddrum AMX 7x8rack tom.

I bought this kit as a "portable" gig kit so i wouldn't have to lug around my giant bubinga kit:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=44494

It started out as a 5 piece, then i added the high tom. The other pieces i found on ebay over time, it just got out of control and the "portable" thing went out the window.
The cool thing is that the drums are like 4 ply birch, incredibly lightweight. I'd say all 4 rack toms together are as heavy as my 14" bubinga rack tom is by itself and my 20 inch birch bass drum is as heavy as my 16" bubinga floor tom, plus of course the rack system is about a quarter the mass of the big kit's, so it's a light load, just takes up space. It's also about half the weight of my Pearl Export 8 pc double bass kit with power toms that i used to have in the early 90's. The kit sounds amazing. Ddrum discontinued the series and replaced it with their current birch/ basswood line called Defiant, which uses cheaper parts. I think Ddrum finally realized that they were giving away these kits at ridiculous prices and then went the cheap route with their birch kits.

Last edited by diosdude; 10-20-2009 at 04:23 PM.