View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 03:36 AM
Banned

Default Re: Busking rules in Sydney ... your area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
It sounds like a mindless, punitive, anti-business and anti-artist approach.

That is precisely what is happening. This is why I do not play live that much these days. It's better and easier to simply teach. Now this is kind of sad. I have live experience dating back to 1982. I play a myriad of percussion instruments and am considered to be "not bad" by my peers. Surely I have something to offer, but the scene is such that it offers me nothing in return. The pay is the same as it was 15 years ago for the average cover band. In fact it may be even less.

I often feel like telling parents to find another pursuit for their children because being a musician in Australia is a total waste of time and effort.

But let's face it, being able to play an instrument is a gift and we are so lucky. Why should we be paid to play? I mean we should be happy to give of ourselves for free. Do we not owe our society? How can we even charge for lessons? "$30.00 for 30 minutes????" Parents say in shock! Try getting a plumber for that price! A plumber does a 4 year apprenticeship. My musical apprenticeship has been going on for 30 years. But apparently it is worthless.