View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Busking rules in Sydney ... your area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryace
You should use the internet and get petitions and affect some change, that is unacceptable.
I'm going to write take excerpts from my rant and write a letter to The Heckler, which is a column in our second most popular daily paper for people to write about what annoys them. I am sure the paper will want to print it because it's a real issue that affects a lot of people, not just me or a small group. Music in the streets helps make a place alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulmoski View Post
In Abu Dhabi, it is illegal to busk. In fact, it is also illegal to drum on the beach or in a park with some friends. Bummer.
That's so anti-art. Commisserations, Skul. It's hard to compehend the attitude but I guess the Middle East has a whole bunch of problems at present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathMetalConga
In Boise, Idaho, the law is that you can't obstruct the sidewalk or play at excessive volume. If you offer to play something for a fee, then you need a sidewalk vendor's permit. If you are just playing with a hat laid out for tips, you need no permit of any kind. It is considered a free expression issue ...

Street performers enrich a city and they should be encouraged. It is a good sign when people want to do this in public places. I have to wonder, with such ridiculously restrictive laws, what are they trying to protect? What are they trying to stop? It sounds like a mindless, punitive, anti-business and anti-artist approach.
How very sane of Idaho. I'm sure that, rather than cause trouble, the liberal approach in Idaho makes it a more enjoyable place in which to live.

I think at one stage there was a rash of really awful buskers and they wanted to raise the standards. But they didn't coordinate it and each council did their own thing in lieu of laws being made at a state level, which would have made more sense. I think the farcical situation is also in part caused by:

* the state being asleep at the wheel because they saw it as unimportant (to be fair, it's not in the same league as issues surrounding schools, healthcare and public transport)

* councils seeing the chance to make some extra tax $$

*a minority of stuffy types at the top disapproving of musicians' tendency towards mild eccentricity, and

* fear of potential legal liability and it's easier to mess with a relatively disempowered group like musicians than to make laws to reduce the risk. To be fair, making new laws is a worry because there can be unintended conseuquences, but the current situation is farcical.

* Negative thinking. People's don't worry about a lack of buskers, just that most are enlivened when they hear a good one. See? There are no negative consequences - just a lack of positive ones. Politicians are so conditioned by tabloids to focus on their problems that they often don't even think about about facilitating positives. That's one reason why so little nation-building stuff gets done nowadays, because politicians are too busy trying to wallpaper over cracks before the tabloids can crucify them!

Thanks for the historical NYC perspective, Aydee, Not ideal but it now at least sounds better than over here.

Last edited by Pollyanna; 09-22-2009 at 05:54 AM.