View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pop Music in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelimpingtoad View Post
I'll have to wait to watch it at home.. youtube is blocked at work and my headphones for my phone are busted. Yes.. Rage and Chilli peppers are good examples of rockers pulling influence from rap... what i'm more interested are the bands that are coming out from the other way around where they are rappers who have "converted" to rock. I think that can be more true to the rap stylings. I think one of my big turn-offs from rap are the lousy drum/bass beats so many of them use. which i think is something that we were discussing a couple pages ago as being a problem with hip-hop, rap and modern pop. I think part of that is that my typical style is hard rock... i can play jazz (not extremely well but i can) and i can play other typically lighter styles (soft rock etc.) but what i enjoy is tearing the drums up and rocking out (but not really metal... zep and the who for example). This is something that you don't get to hear in rap. That edgy hard sound is completely lacking as it seems it is mostly a vocal genre.
Yes, we can't YouTube either and I forgot it's Friday work for you. It's late here.

Is it the beats that bug you so much or the sounds? The beats are repetitive but the patterns of the loops seem ok to my ear. There might be some of the stuff you're looking underground, maybe like this? (another one for home)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9GMYo2IFJI