View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pop Music in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Home sequencing is hard enough, let alone live. It's heaps easier to set up a kit and go for it. That's why I'm back to it :)
A live person playing a musical instrument...a most excellent notion !

There was a time in the not-so-distant past that musicians (skilled artists who handled an instrument) were cause for excitement when arriving on stage. It's gratifying to know that this is still the case. I just read an interview with Gordon Marshall and he said his first show (as back-up drummer to the Moody Blues) was to a standing crowd of 25,000 music fans. This is what is so exciting to me.

I think people still do crave good music that's performed by gifted players.

I also think people are being introduced to a lesser quality and variety of good music. The corporate take-over of radio stations and the profit-driven push of the label's is a great deal of the reason. The record companies have shot themselves in the foot.

As far as pop-music goes, I agree with what Fantasy studio's top producer Jeffrey Wood has to say on the matter: " The major labels had painted themselves into a corner by not appealing to a wider demographic, by signing bands all to a younger demographic of the under-25-year-olds, with boy-bands in the 1990's and the teen-divas in the 2000s, and not developing music for people in their thirties, forties, fifties. These people buy CDs ! "

So unless you know where to look for good music (or even know what it is) you will be subject to the force feeding of this mindless stuff. Kind of like relying on one-source for all your news.