View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: as the decade comes to a close. so do tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdgdw View Post
I went round to my friends the other day and spotted a pile of records in the corner of his room. So I ask...
'What are they?'
'Oh they're my Dads old records. He gave them to add to my collection.
'Cool. What have you got?'
'Just some old rock and metal'
I start looking and pull out original copies of Led Zeppelin 1, 2 ,3 and 4!!!
'Oh my god these are amazing!!! Why didn't you say?!?! Can I listen to them? Please, please, please!'
'Erm yea if want. I'm not really into them... I know, do you want to listen to my mint condition of "The Fall", they're well good'
'...no I don't want to listen to your copy of "the fall". Tit'

listening to them was magical. It made me feel like I was listening to them more than on my iPod or my CDs. I can't explain it. I felt like I was in the 70's listening to them live. Just amazing!

He also had original copies of Black Sabbath records, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Jethro Tull. The list goes on, there were loads!
That's pretty amazing. Records tend to sound a bit nicer because the imperfections and inaccuricies of the waveform pressed into the vinyl takes a bit of the 'edge' or the very high treble off the sound which makes it sound less harsh but still managing to retain the 'presence' that many modern producers pile on the treble to create. Or at least that's what i reckon anyway, but i'm no audio engineer so what do i know eh?

EHs Music Facebook Page