View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Pop Music in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I think you're being a little close minded on the issue, with the greatest of respect. 'Real' drums didn't power Kraftwerk, but they were a fantastic band. As usual, it's not the tool, it's the application. As I sit here right now I'm actually programming some electronic rhythms. Electronic drums don't necessarily need to be programmed by drummers to be well-made, just look at DJ Shadow. The problem is a lack of invention.

When I go and listen to Thom Yorke's solo album (The Eraser) I am awe struck by his drum programming. The same is said of Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails. It does sound mechanical, but in these cases that's the point. In some instances, the programming is actually aesthetically post-digital, so it becomes a parody of that programmed sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIK7084f8FM

That's one of my favourite programmed sequences. In fact, the only thing there that isn't programmed is the voice. But if you really listen hard enough, you'll understand that there's something incredibly organic about this programming. It sounds mechanistic, yet human. The digital aspect of the production has actually been subverted by letting in sound glitches and errors.

The problem, as usual, is a lack of inventiveness.
Well, Kraftwerk has been one of my favorite bands, since the mid seventies, and they would not be Kraftwerk without programmed drums. I guess I should really qualify my distaste for electronically programmed instruments. What gets me is the thought of music producers replacing human drummers, not because it is the artistic call for the song or music, but only because they want to save money or not have to deal with another ill-tempered flaky musician. IOW, my reservations to electronic programming are really limited to pop music, and pop music only, and I take back my techno-pop only statement, as there are other genres that work well with it.