View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Pop Music in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I think you're getting the problem there mixed up. Human drummers still do play on a lot of records, but the production methods use ensure 'perfect' quantisation. With that said, I don't think there's any problem with electronically-generated rhythm, in fact I do it all the time. What's lacking is an artistic aesthetic.
Maybe somebody can better quantify it, but what I have heard on local pop stations (which I hear alot with teenage kids), is about 100% electronic rythm sections. There again, this probably gets into the definition of what pop music is, which is subjective even in this thread.

I know we have debated this subject before, and yes, I am aware of the "click" and how it is used extensively. I really have no problem with striving for perfect timing. What I am opposed to is the production line, mechanized sound of electronic drums. Programming can be alot better if done by drummers, but I can hardly believe what I hear coming across the radio waves these days is being programmed by a drummer by trade. Your recordings sound quite nice, it's what's coming out of the main stream that I cannot believe is passing as drums. It certainly is void of rythm, and I think techno-pop is the only application suited for it, but that, of course, is my opinion.