View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 02:34 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pop Music in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
Captain Beefheart pop? Led Zeppelin??????

I don't think we are thinking in the same terms as what pop music is. I always thought of it as top 40 ish stuff, like Beyonce, Lil Wayne, and Kelly Clarkson of today.
Doctor, you raised Picasso as an example of someone with artistic freedom. He was not "pop" but progressive for his day. Maybe the equivalent of Jimi Hendix (?) - different, strong technique, forward-thinking and original. He was too good to be controlled; why control something that people are already excited about?

So I chose bands that also enjoyed that freedom.

Ken, I thought true republicanism invloved going into debt to boost the military and going on hare-brained invasions :P

More seriously, I think pop will always be around because simple and catchy music works for those who don't listen hard enough to enjoy nuance, skill or originality. It's musical ice cream. I like ice cream but I don't want a diet of it. I eat a lot of veggies, which I enjoy because they are versatile, taste good, are nourishing and don't involve killing animals to satisfy my tatste buds. I like my musical veggies too :)