View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pop Music in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Interesting info, Ken.

Yes, everything has a story if you dig deep enough. But how clear or interesting is the story?
Is that a rhetorical question?

I think the question is, " is the story musical?" When you listen to something like the Coltrane Quartet, there is always a strong musical narrative, though there may be a descriptive narrative as well. From the above examples, it would probably be the AC/DC. If you were to give me a choice of AC/DC and Bill Evans, I'd have to go with the Bill Evans.

I think people can be biased to say the jazz is a 'high' art form, when not all jazz is great music. Not everyone composing in Vienna in 1788 was a 'great' composer. Now you hear a lot of people saying rock should get the same recognition as ' a high' or great art form. It becomes classic. The term classical music comes from the same concept of being classic, old and exemplary of the greatness of its time. Now you have the classic era of the American song and musical theater 1940s and 1950s, the classic jazz era of the 1950s and 60s, and classic rock era of the 1960s and 70s. The music does become enshrined. In America, and NY in particular, people look back at the time as an artistic Golden Era. It may very well be that it was. In 1949, you could see Cole Porter, Rodgers and Hammerstein, or the great plays of Tennessee Williams and Arthur Miller on Broadway, hear Monk, Bird or Bud Powell play in the nightclubs or Copland and Bernstein at the Philharmonic. But it is somewhat dangerous to go back to some time period and exemplify it and how great it was then, and it really sucks now.

Now is a very interesting time in the history of music because with the Internet you have a wide-open, global space to get music out. For the folkies, it was the music of the people that was as important or probably more important than what was being played on the radio. I think many big bands, like The Beatles, come to understand that about music, the marketing gets in the way. Things become hyped, and Brittany Spears becomes the number one album. Because it is the best thing happening at the time: p What is important to whom, when and why? Today you have such a proliferation of bands and artists; anyone could make a CD. Everyone could get their music out, and the concept of an overseer, the Church, The Censor, The Industry, is slowly diminishing. That is true republicanism, and in that world Does pop really have a place? (Bye-bye pop music.)

Last edited by Deltadrummer; 08-24-2009 at 04:25 AM.