View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Show Me Your "Monster" Kits! (let's say... 7 piece and up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Very cool! There aren't many sets here that really stand out, but an 8-piece dwarf monster kit definitely would. Neat that you have all the parts on hand.

I would like to see your set before, as it currently exists, and then as a dwarf monster set. If you got an 18-inch drum, you could make it a double bass dwarf set, nine pieces. That's the sort of thing you'd send into Modern Drummer as kit of the month.

There are tutorials on this site about converting floor toms to bass drums. Look for them or we can point you to them.
Haven't got an 18" tom currently. What I do have is an old Ludwig Classic 16" floor tom that I acquired without the reso head, hoop or lugs. So step one is getting matching lugs and an 8-slot hoop. eBay, here I come.

I'd been playing this drum as a suspended gong-style tom using a Pearl tom bracket. I'll redrill the leg mounts to coincide with this mount. Two of the legs will mount backwards (feet towards the batter head). I have a vintage "multi-clamp" that's little more than a piece of thin metal with two wingnut tighteners at either side - the clamp will bridge the legs, and create a platform for the pedal to clamp onto.

I'll throw a Yammie two-hole tom-mounting platform into the tom bracket, then clamp it to a rack tube to keep the drum from creeping. And Bob's your uncle, there we go.

We'll see what else I can get stuffed into this. I would love to use a firecracker-size snare as the primary on this one. But as I said, even the first steps on this are a few months away. My drums are at home in central Washington. I am in the Army, and deployed... so this little project exists only in my head for now...