View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 05:38 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pop Music in General

Pop music is not supposed to be all that sophisticated. Be that as it may, a lot of those metal bands have pretty outrageous drummers: Jaska Raatikainen, Tomas Haake, The Rev. One could say "I don't like the music;" but that would be less a comment on the quality of the music and more a comment on the age of the person.

You listen to some of these artists like Jason Mraz or Katy Perry and ask, really what is there not to like. Then you have artists like Alicia Keys, John Legend or John Mayer and they are pretty good song writers. There are some great bands putting out great albums: Radiohead, Muse, Three Doors Down, The Roots. And I even like Coldplay, always did. Used to go see them when they played the clubs. I don't listen to them anymore but it's good pop. You have these prog bands like Dream Theater, Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree that have been putting out quality albums, some for two decades, and are still largely under the radar.

That might not be a popular opinion; but I really don't care.