View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Help picking my 2nd instrument (BASS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
So do you think I should get a short stack or long? People say it's easier to learn on a short one but is that really beneficial? Why not just learn on a long one since if I ever get good enough to play in a band or something the good sounding basses are probably long ones and it will be like starting over trying to get used to the bigger frets and stretching the small muscles even more to reach em.

I think I am gonna get a 4-string even though it sort of goes against the previously stated logic, I think it would be easier to go to a 5 string after learning on a 4, can you get more out of a 5 string or is it like adding another tom to your kit? it's nice but not really required.

Thanks for the input guys
No don't bother with short scale. No point really. 5 strings is a BIT like adding an extra tom but really it's different. If you have a smaller drum kit, you can play the same fill or whatever on less drums and it's not too much of a problem. But if you don't have the low B of a 5 string, you can't just substitute the notes on the higher strings and the bassline will sound a lot different. Whether it's needed or not depends entirely on what music you play. Generally the type of music that requires the extra low end is modern sorts of low tuned metal and also jazz. (you heard me)

EHs Music Facebook Page