View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Roland or Yamaha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
In the end, it is all a matter of personal perference. Go to the store, try both brands out repeatedly, look for what kind of expansion stuff is available online, and then buy what suites you best.

Personally, I hate Yamaha electronic drum kits. I have played every make and model trying to find one I like, and I just can't. I even think their samples of Yamaha drums sound fake to me. I hate how they feel, and think that visually they look at a lot worse than Rolands. I have been thinking about an e-kit for the last year, and have spent hours behind various ones at Guitar Centers, Sam Ashes, etc. To my personal perference, a mid-level Roland is better than a top-of-the-line Yamaha, in feel and look, and comparable in sound. The top of the line Roland is unlike any other electric kit I have played, I love it to death, and there isn't a kit that can touch it for what I want and like from an e-kit.
We'll just choose to agree to disagree...I've played and owned both Roland and Yamaha....and if you'll take the time to learn the Yamaha modules, you can create some incredible sounding kits....just have to take the time to learn it...it's kinda like learning to tune an acoustic drum...out of the box they don't necessarily sound great, but once tuned...it's a different story!...Yamaha e-kits are alot like that...they give you the raw kits and expect you as the end user to create your own kits sounds (VST's are also alot like this)....and let's be honest roland modules are similar....hence the reason for vex...