View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 05:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
There are some laws like you're allowed to shoot a scotsman in york minster on wendsdays with a longbow and that every person above the age of 10 has to learn archery. Clearly they're not enforced any more and you WOULD be nicked if you did actually shoot a scotsman with a longbow in wednsday in york minster.
I was on more about the stupid health and safety laws that seem to suggest that common sense doesn't apply anymore, like having to be trained to do a deadlift if you do work which requires moving boxes around. Do they do that in canada? I'm glad our alcohol laws aren't like in the US though where you're not allowed to go out on a night if you go to college and you're under 21 in case you go to a bar and have a drink. I hope the EU don't start making laws against alcohol, mind you i'm sure the french would have something to say about that XD.
Suuuure , they pick and choose what ones to enforce! The best thing about laws is that they are almost invariably in place because the issue has been some sort of problem. For example, Wednesdays are a peak day for crossbow slayings? Or perhaps midweek works best for some reason? The over 10 archery thing, and some others are indeed self explanatory when you think of it historically, but why can I not fall asleep on a London bus??!!

No deadlift training here, but I bet it's from way back when, when people were getting injured left right and centre trying to lift horses and whatever it was way back when people were lifting. Maybe companies got sued even, or worse!

Brit, don't be so sure, there are regionnal laws too, don;t forget. It just isn't like that for you in NJ. Like it is illegal to sever alcohol in some parts of the US, like Utah with the mormons, and Rockport Mass. (where I went on vacation and loved it, but it was a 'dry town'- you could bring your own (closest place was in New Hampshire though) but it was illegal to serve. You'd be surprised man! In Mass. alone there are quite a few weird ones, including a sign literally posted on the motorway going south out of the city- something about horses (I forget what the rule was).

By the way, back to Manchester for a moment- I forgot to mention that Life on Mars IS filmed there, which I like.=)

GB