View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 02:38 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Something to Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I don't use auto-tune in my studio when I record myself or any projects that come through. I'm not opposed to it, though, when used in moderation. If a vocalist gives the most emotion-filled performance of their career in the studio, and their top note in that take is a few cents flat, I don't see any reason why a little pitch correction would hurt anyone. I'd rather release the recording with that corrected take with the energy and passion in it than one of the next few takes that sound flat and lifeless compared to it.

With that said, I think that WAY too many artists are using it as a crutch rather than an aid...
Well said.

If an other wise great performance is marred by a little goof here or there, there is no shame is correcting it. It's not much different than drummers who punch in a drum fill, or mix takes together to make the perfect track, or guitarists who over dub a certain section because the guitar went out of tune 1/2 way through the track.

It is supposed to be an aid, like every other studio trick that has ever been invented.

However, like many things in life, it's become abused to well past the point of it's intention.