View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Hardest instruments to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
I think tabla scare a lot more people than they should. They are just as hard to master as anything else... Well maybe harder to "master", but under the right circumstances and guidance, you should be able to play the basic bols and accompinaments and some variations in an acceptable manner in a relatively short amount of time.

Advanced concepts of matras, tal, and variations on bols would confuse the heck out of anyone without a teacher. You need a teacher, and to some degree you need to understand the Hindi notation (I've been told) to truly understand the subtleties between notes that otherwise look identical when written in English. But for all intents and purposes, I think you can get away with the basics and sound halfway decent after a few months, to a year or so of practice.

It is a difficult and very precise type of percussion instrument. I'm on board with anyone else who thinks any instrument would be difficult to "master" (and I still detest that word as it relates to musicianship).
a "western" drumset is the most easiest instrument to learn: any kid can watch the drummer and imitate it in a minute, most basically crossing hands and play right hand on the highhat, left hand on the snare...
Tabla is something very different, I think it is is about understanding Rhythm in terms of communication and language. also Tabla is of extremely low volume..this does no impress any western drumming Kid at all.....I think tabla is the most easiest percussion instrument to play, once you are from south India, but hardest to learn if you are not....I wish I coud not only take tabla lessons but first learn the "Dah dih na" language...but I am too old for this.....Only thing I can do this far is the Chuck Berry Duck Walk, which, beeing a dummer, does not help me much.

Last edited by rootheart; 06-10-2009 at 10:23 PM.