View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What are some different carrers for us drummers?

When you ask some of the kids on the basketball team what they want to be when they grow up, some of them are certain that they are going to play professionally. They have all the drive and most of the talent to get there, and they're ready to go for it. Then, one day, reality hits in the form of them not getting picked for the college team, not getting nominated for the draft, or whatever. Then, they have to "settle" for a "real" job.

I knew tons of kids in high school who were SURE that they were going to be rock stars. They put ALL of their energy and focus in that direction. That's all that they could see themselves doing. Nothing else even popped into their minds. Nothing else would do.

...what are they doing now? Well, construction/labor jobs mostly. They took their focus off of going to college and getting a *real* job, and that left them unprepared to make a *real* living when reality and adulthood came and smacked them in the face.

The truth is, there are only so many jobs out there to fill, and so many people vying for them. If you have the drive and determination to go for it against all odds, and are creative enough to create a path/job for yourself that can sustain your way of life, then you are a success. It's pretty rare, though. Most musicians have to diversify SO much in order to "make it". I am in 5 bands, an on-call drummer for 2 studios, on-call classical percussionist for 3 studios, I compose, score music, record jingles, engineer for recording sessions, run sound for live events, teach lessons, and I'm sure a few other things that I'm not mentioning. The point is this...you can't just go to school, get trained to be a good musician, and be guaranteed work. There's so much more to it than that. As for jobs for a drummer/percussionist...if you're REALLY good, I'm sure you'll be able to find something that can supplement the rest of your income (whether it be from other bands or music-related professions, or the dreaded "day job").

I sincerely wish you the best of luck. To not be able to think of anything else you could see yourself doing IS pretty scary. Better think of something quick, so you can at least survive while you try to carve out your music career. They don't come overnight, THAT'S for sure!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195